Tuesday 7 January 2014

Children TV Part1- Introducation

The Adventures of Sir Lancelot starring William Russell (1957-1958)
 I have great fondness to Children shows that I grew up that were showing in the late 1950's to the early 1970's, just before colour came onto our screen. Since from the mid 80's of the video tape and now dvd & blu-ray these shows are brought back to life, however,are these shows still watchable and great or it really out bad or outdated. Of course shows that were placed in children time slot in Australia maybe have been shown in a different slot in the UK or US, like many American comedies that failed in the states like Captain Nice and Mr.Terrific, more on these shows later. 
I have been buying some classic children shows for my collection, trusting my instincts about these shows, are there just as good, fact even better when I watched them. I would go further saying that even today children shows live or animated maybe better some of the adults shows that are been produce, such as Young Dracula or Wolf Blood. 

During the course of the mornings during beginning of this year I started watching these shows, in a 13-14 episodes block, in a set of three, from different eras.  The first block of three were two 1950's shows and one 1960's, the Adventures of Sir Lancelot, The Buccaneers and Stingray.  The second block of three  one from the 1960's, The Railway Children and two  from the 1970's  The Boy Dominic, The Feathered Serpent. Now third of block of three, two from the 1960's Joe 90 and Tom Gratten's War and one from the 1970's the Star Trek Animated.

Have these shows live up to my instincts, part two I shall examine these shows that have watched.

    

1 comment:

  1. I have a lot of fondness for Sir Lancelot. Years ago I bought a VHS tape that had one episode each of five or six ITC series - Sir Lancelot, Sir Francis Drake, William Tell, etc - and loved them to bits.

    ReplyDelete